Champlain Insurance Group is a fast-growing, specialty, surplus and excess lines insurance enterprise, which through our affiliates, Champlain Specialty Insurance Company, WestCongress Insurance Services LLC, and WestCongress Risk Services LLC, offers primary and excess general liability insurance solutions and claims administration throughout the United States.
We are in need of an excess and surplus lines senior underwriter to serve as our Director of Underwriting with responsibility to manage our team of field producers.
The Director of Underwriting is responsible for building, developing, and managing a team of producers and support staff to grow our current business segments, which consist of Oil & Gas, Specialty Contractors, and Security. This position involves overseeing our field producers to ensure compliance with our business processes, including intake, evaluation, rating, quoting, and binding of both new and renewal submissions. The successful candidate will have at least five to ten years prior underwriting management experience with a carrier, MGA or other insurance producer and will be willing to devote substantial time and energy to ensuring corporate production and profitability goals are accomplished.
- Overseeing the day-to-day management of an experienced team of surplus and excess line producers.
- Executing the organization’s distribution and marketing strategies and drive the corporate strategic initiatives.
- Engaging in primary and referral level account evaluation, application of terms, pricing, risk selection and documentation.
- Providing a superior customer experience.
- Executing program guidelines and authority levels and ensuring compliance with insurer policies, processes, and risk appetite.
- Conducting quarterly account/production reviews of assigned team members and implement any necessary corrective actions.
- Serving as a point person for third party wholesale and retail producers to build sustainable long-term profitable relationships.
- Training and cross training regional producers.
- Identifying loss trends to address profitability challenges through changes in program terms and guidelines.
- Working with executive management and underwriting leadership to help keep the product segments relevant and profitable.
The individual in this position must have strong inter-personal communication skills and organizational skills. In addition, the individual must demonstrate the following skills:
- Knowledge of standardized workflows, roles and responsibilities, and compliance requirements.
- Ability to drive product, service, selection, pricing and innovation for the Oil & Gas, Specialty Contractor, and Security segments.
- Knowledge of insurance coverages and general E&S market conditions.
- Knowledge of primary and/or excess general liability risk evaluation.
- Ability to organize work and perform within time constraints.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated management skills, flexibility to meet changing demands and strong decision-making ability.
- High proficiency in math, typing, Microsoft Word & Excel and other computer software & systems.
- Negotiation skills.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
Opportunity for Advancement:
For the successful candidate that demonstrates the aptitude and a desire to learn and advance, this position may offer opportunities for advancement to positions of increasing responsibility and authority within the insurance underwriting or other aspects of our business.
We offer a competitive compensation package, including bonus opportunity, health, dental, vision, life, disability insurance, matching 401k, paid time off and holidays.
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
- Bonus pay
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Manchester, NH 03101: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: One location